Sunday, May 22, 2011

Cake Cutting As Culture

I came across the Happy Birthday video clip of Tae Yang of Big Bang. At around 00:43, check how he cut the cake.
在網路上偶然看到Big Bang的太陽切蛋糕(第43秒),讓我想起了在韓國時切蛋糕的情景。

Blatantly cutting it into halves. That's how Korean people do. It is quite different from the Taiwanese way I am used to, that we usually cut from the center, and we do not cut cake into halves, as if implying something not very auspicious. An example of Taiwanese cutting cake (see 00:15):
他們總是直接將蛋糕一刀兩斷。這點和台灣人很不一樣。找了個台灣人切蛋糕的例子(見第15秒):

I observed that Chinese and Hong Kongese do not have the same concern and they do cut cake the same way Korean do. Perhaps a matter of habit, I just dun feel right when I see cake cut into halves.
大陸和香港也沒有台灣人這樣的顧慮,切蛋糕跟韓國人一樣都是一刀兩斷式的。可能是習慣問題,當我看到一刀兩斷式的蛋糕切法,總有那麼點不蘇胡~

No comments:

Post a Comment